Saturday, April 24, 2010

New Doctor

The kids now have a new pediatrician that they go to. Friday Elizabeth had her first appointment with him. His name is Dr. Crow and he told Elizabeth that he was named after the bird.....of course Isaac picked up on this and kept saying "Dr. Crow Dr. Crow" Elizabeth seemed a little bit nervous because she was not sure what was going to happen. Elizabeth has an extreme fear of shots and she worries that she will have to get a shot whenever she goes any place new, whether it is a dr office or not.
The doctor assured her that he was nice and that he was not going to hurt her. He began looking over her charts and realized she just turned 4 and had not had her 4 year old shots yet. He looked at me and said that he just lied to her because she needed to get caught up on them. I assured him that he did not lie to her since he was not going to be the one that actually gave her the shot.
Well after the doctor left the room to tell the nurse to get the shot ready Elizabeth asked me if she had to get a shot and of course I could not lie to her and get her mad at me later so I told her yes. Instantly the panic set in and I had to frantically search for something to calm her. I told her that if she did good she could have an ice cream after we left. I tried to reason with her through the tears. I got her to calm down a little bit but it wasn't working. I decided to add in that she could also get a juice. I finally got her calmed down and "happy" again. The doctor pops his head around the corner and tells me that he was out of one of the shots and that he could do the rest of them and then get the other one at the health dept.........I opted for no shots so that I would only have to go through the actual shots 1 time, he thought it was a good idea.
Elizabeth left with a new toy from the doctor's treasure chest and no new holes from shots. Of course we had to go get ice cream anyways :)
I am now hoping that I can get her into the health department without her asking if we are there for shots. I don't want her to realize that she has to get one until she sees the needle going to her arm.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany